Niagara offers a complete range of residential electrical services in St. Catharines and the Niagara region. Conscious of value, but committed to quality, we are a certified master electrician company that provides anything from general wiring to emergency repairs with knowledgeable, professional service. Call us for more information!
We do Service Calls
- Punctual and Professional
- Attention To Detail
- We respect you and we respect your home
- Clean and courteous service
Knob & Tube Rewiring
If your home was built during or before the 1930s era, it may still use knob and tube wiring. Though it was viewed as excellent wiring then, there are safety and usage concerns with knob and tube wiring today, and it is seldom insured by insurance companies.
Here are some of the issues with knob and tube wiring:
- No Ground Wire. It includes no ground wires, and all outlets are ungrounded two-prong. While the old outlets may have been replaced with normal three-prong receptacles, the actual wiring is still ungrounded and without ground protection.
- Age Deterioration. Over time, the quality of knob and tube wiring and insulation can degrade, increasing the risk of short circuits and shocks.
- Overuse. Knob and tube systems were developed for lower electrical demands. The extra loads demanded by today's typical home can easily lead to overloaded circuits, which, if not correctly fused, can overheat and cause fires.
Upgrades to knob and tube wiring are usually essential for insurance coverage or house resale—not to mention your family's safety and peace of mind.
The ideal solution, when possible, is to remove all old knob and tube wiring and replace it with new, modern wiring.
If you’re living with the risks of knob and tube wiring, contact Niagara Electrical for a consultation. Each project is different, but always ensure that your rewiring project is being handled professionally by a licensed electrician, who respects your home, does all he can to make the repairs as minimally invasive as possible, and who understands the unique challenges knob and tube wiring create.